Sunday, January 09, 2005

Deadlines, Deadlines

HELP! I'm trapped in deadline land. For over four weeks I've known about deadlines that I have -- to do freelance editing and freelance writing. Yes, I worked on my assignments, a little at a time; my spare time is limited, after all! I could have done more earlier; I should have done more earlier.

As a writer/editor, I wait for that creative muse to find me and hit me over the head. Sometimes she's busy with other folks, and can't get to me so fast. Other times, she's got the address, but just can't find me for the flurry of paperwork atop my desk, or the piles of "stuff" that block her way -- that might be a laundry basket, some unwashed dishes, coats that need to be hung up... But when we do meet up, often it's with that too-soon-for-comfort turnaround date looming over my head.

In this case, that date happens to be tomorrow! Will I get to sleep tonight, or will I have to take work off tomorrow to meet that deadline? Have I done as fine a job as I can possibly do with these two assignments? Time will tell. If I'm able to link you to my article in a future blog, I'll know that everything worked out okay...even if it was somewhat stressful to get there. And if my freelance editing piece passes muster, then all is good "in my book."

4 comments:

DANIELBLOOM said...

Pearl, why are DEADlines called DEADlines? What is the genesis of that word? What are deadlines called in French, German, Swedish, Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, Italian? Can you do some research and let us know. On deadline, of course!

torontopearl said...

Okay, Dan, I'm up to the challenge. The Webster's 11th collegiate edition offers this as its first definition of the word:

"Deadline: a line drawn within or around a prison that a prisoner passes at the risk of being shot."

That's only the first entry in the dictionary, but I take it that's the origin.

In other words, if I don't get my work in on time, I'll be shot!!!

Keren Perles said...

Lol, that's hysterical!

Pearl, I've got a question for you. I'm actually getting my B.A., IY"H, in June, and I'm looking for jobs in the editing field. Do you have any idea? I live in Baltimore, but would love to move to New York after graduation.

Do you work for a frum publishing company? You said you're a "freelance editor"--What exactly does that entail? What types of jobs can you get like that? How hard is it to start off like that?

If you could email me with any information, I'd love it. I'll post another comment with my email address beneath this one and then delete it. I hope that you get these comments sent directly to your inbox...

Thanks in advance!
Stx ;)

Keren Perles said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.