Sunday, June 05, 2005

The Simple Pleasures in Life

Blogroll Me!

"Doesn't take much to make me happy
or make me smile with glee..."


I think I live by those song lyrics -- I take pleasure in the simplest things in life: my husband's good and generous nature, my children's smiles and laughter, a robin's song, the smell of freshly-cut grass, a rainfall, my ability to find just the right words to help me say or write just the right thing, my love for music and singing, giving compliments, lending a helping hand, having a good rapport with family and friends, etc.

Of course, I could write pages and pages of blog posts about the simple pleasures in my life. But I won't take my time -- or yours -- to do so. You each have your own simple pleasures; some might match mine.

Basically, I think we are happy if we are healthy, if our families are healthy. Truly, everything else is secondary.

But I will say that one of my simple pleasures is going on a Web site that I discovered not all that long ago: www.frumster.com. I love to see the successes they've had in matching up people, I love to read these people's stories relayed in brief to us readers and learn how they met and how the "courtship" evolved. I love learning that there are two fewer single people in the world -- these people have met their basherts and are setting on a new life course...together.

For me it isn't about the mitzvah of matching someone up, or the mitzvah of them marrying to fulfill "Pru Urvu" -- it's the simple fact that two people have found each other, two people with similar outlooks and an attraction to one another, and a mutual goal. Two people who deserve a chance to be happy together.

I am elated when I meet people who've met at their workplaces and later married, or the few people that I know who went on www.JDate.com, met and eventually married.

To share in someone's happiness, even a stranger's, is a wonderful means of seeing beyond yourself, beyond your own happiness...and appreciating the simple pleasures in life.

No comments: