Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Talking in Numbers


Blogroll Me!

I am not a numbers kind of gal. I never was.

Give me letters, give me words. And I'm happy.

Math was NEVER my forte--in fact, I'd wanted to drop math in my later years of school, because I was just passing the subject. But thanks to parents who took an interest and told me I should perservere, thanks to my switch to public school for my last few years of high school, where I could take general, advanced or enriched math and work better at my level of comprehension (can you guess which level I pursued), I stuck with it.

Oh, I don't do anything with the math I learned; I can add, subtract, multiply, divide and do math basics as fast or faster than any of you can, but get into weird nitty-gritty things, and I'll have to call Stacey or Doctor Bean to help me out.

Okay, Pearl and numbers don't mix. So why did I end up marrying an accountant? Okay, definitely not a boring accountant -- perhaps that's the reason why...

So anyhow, as I stated, numbers don't normally do anything for me, and I avoid them if I can. So why am I taking such great pleasure in such a simple thing as reading the number of comments for my last couple of posts?! I think it's because the numbers have gone from the average 0 or 2 to a way-up-there 11 and 12...and not even all of them my comments adding to the total!

I've said it countless times I'm sure in my blogging tenure: why is it that when I write good, heartfelt creative pieces, there are 0 comments, but the minute I write something even a touch fluffy, that number speedily changes?

I really don't care how many "hits" I get a day that will help put me over the total 12 or 15,000 mark; I really don't care how many votes I may have gotten or not gotten in the JIBs (as a matter of fact, I'm checking in now and again to those other blogs I voted for and seeing their stats, their numbers); I really don't care about numbers on their own.

But I do care about comments...the number of comments I get.

Who'd have ever thought that Pearl's love of words and Mr. Abacus's (a Sephardic Jew, no doubt!) love of numbers would have finally come together...to meet on the same page!?

You may now choose to make a comment, thus a way to leave your number at the same time! All comments will be read, and numbers will be tabulated at the end of the day. Thank you.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

G

Anonymous said...

R

Anonymous said...

E

Anonymous said...

A

Anonymous said...

T

Anonymous said...

P

Anonymous said...

O

Anonymous said...

S

Anonymous said...

T

Anonymous said...

!

torontopearl said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

BIG SMILE!!!

Who is so funny and creative...if it isn't me!?

Re. your comments -- I thank you...and my numbers thank you!

cruisin-mom said...

Pearl...that is so clever, I wish I had thought of it myself. Honest...it wasn't me!

A Simple Jew said...

Pearl: Perhaps you might start to get more comments if you respond to your comments in the comments section (like you did above) ....just a tip.

PsychoToddler said...

Yes, respond to each

PsychoToddler said...

comment in a separate comment and you'll have more comments

PsychoToddler said...

Also get rid of the word verification and I guarantee you will get more comments.

PsychoToddler said...

but they will all be about interesting topics like road construction of PA!

torontopearl said...

PT: And where did you get your pearlies of wisdom, *wiseguy*?

I'm leery of the word verification dismissal -- I already had to eliminate a certain someone from my comments this a.m. because of the nature of his comment...and that's WITH word verification.

ASJ: You're right. Sometimes I realize I should have said something -- be it positive, negative or otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Pearl:

It's not just the number of comments that you should be paying attention to, but the quality.

Stacey said...

Math Girl here, just saying hi!!

cruisin-mom said...

Geez Pearl...you have accomplished what many have not...a comment from Robert!

torontopearl said...

CM: ain't that the truth...and this isn't a political blog!

Stacey: Hi, Math Girl! Hey, you wanna do my taxes this year?

Robert: Of course you're right. Perhaps I never phrased it correctly originally. The fact that I have numbers means that I have comments. And like Mia comments above your words, the fact that someone takes the time to read my words and say something about them definitely means something to me.
The first 10 comments on this page didn't say too much individually, but as a whole, they made me VERY HAPPY. Lurkers are good, but comments are better.

Mia: As I said to Robert, you expressed it so well -- someone taking the time to read and a moment to leave their thoughts...helps justify at times the blog is not in vain.