Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Art of Multi-Tasking

It's after 11 p.m. and I'm still right here at the computer. But I'm proud of myself 'cause I'm multi-tasking.

1. I'm drinking coffee.

2. I'm checking in to my three email addresses every now and again.

3. I'm listening to Internet radio, a "lite jazz" station from Tampa. For all the hours I spend at the computer, you'd think I'd remember there's such a thing called Internet radio. Nuh-uh...but somehow tonight I remembered and searched for some light background music to listen to as I do my work.

4. I'm inputting editorial corrections to a manuscript that I'm copy editing. This has to be in California tomorrow as promised.

5. I'm reading blogs every now and again.

6. I'm letting the dog in and out of the room, as necessary.

7. And I'm posting on my own blog.

Okay, you might think I'm not multi-tasking, just being distracted by many things. Okay, then you're right. But I'm always distracted, so this time 'round I thought I'd give it a fancier title: multi-tasking. (Wait, I have to close the office door; the dog just walked in, circled the room and left again to get attention elsewhere.)

Guess it's back to just the music and the manuscript now -- investment tips and money management for retirees. I have a few years yet till I officially retire, but I can squirrel away the ideas until then. If I would squirrel away ideas from all the books I've ever edited and copy edited, I'd really be distracted, wouldn't I? Hmmm... another potential idea for MULTI-TASKING!

6 comments:

Mia M said...

Congratulations on multi tasking ;) well done!

torontopearl said...

Thanks, JS. But let me tell you...the dog was the biggest distraction of all. In & out, in & out, just like a child!

Anonymous said...

there is an old joke saying that the American presidents can not do two things - like chewing gum and walk on the street - at a same time.
oh, i just realized you are Canadian!

Robert Avrech said...

Pearl:

Careful, don't spill coffee on the keyboard. Been there, done that. End of multi-tasking.

torontopearl said...

Nuch: Thanks for dropping by.I don't know about ALL the American presidents not being able to do 2 things at once, but there are certainly a couple that stand out in my mind. ;)

Robert: Hey, you left a comment...a rare (but welcome) thing. Oy, can't imagine the aftermath of spilled coffee on the keyboard; I don't WANT TO imagine it.

Dan Balsamo said...

You're really doing good on your multi-tasking. I am a multi-tasker myself too! I got this training from my previous job in a call center. We really needed to multi-task back there. We needed to document the conversation and the important points, click on different windows from the administrator's tools to the company's website to the screen shots. While talking and listening to the customers on the phone, I was doing all these. So like I said, I am a multi-tasker, and it's an achievement really. I feel proud to be able to do all these at the same time. Not everybody can do this. At least that's what I thought.

Mel Balsamo
JRomances.com