Sunday, February 25, 2007

"Bonjour Monsieur Shlomi"




I just finished watching this film with my husband. As I've said before, I'm sure, he and I have trouble agreeing on films. I'd taken this one from the library a couple weeks back and waited for a time that we could watch it together.


My husband agreed to watch it tonight, but preempted me with a warning that he didn't think he'd sit and watch the entire thing...thinking he probably wouldn't enjoy it.


HA! He had to eat his words -- he enjoyed it, as did I. This Israeli film, which was distributed just three short years ago, is very enjoyable -- somewhat sad, somewhat funny.


It had been released to mixed reviews throughout the U.S. and Canada, as I discovered on the Internet, but my review is that I give it 4 stars out of 5. By the way, the Hebrew name for the movie is "HaKochavim shel Shlomi," which translates to "Shlomi's Stars."


Yes, stars figure in the story line. And something else I noticed from the onset of the movie is that the color BLUE figures throughout, as well. The stars, and the color blue, are later mentioned by a central character in the film, so these were meant as metaphors.


If you don't mind subtitled films, I (and my husband) highly recommend this one.

No comments: