Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Scenes from a Childhood


If you click on this image, you can see it close up.
My brother made this pencil sketch and gave it to my husband and I as a wedding gift. He got the shading and details just perfect and took several months to produce this fine piece of artwork. My husband and I, knowing my brother's talent, were so naive and just thought it took a few days to create!
I was about four years old in the picture with my brothers, and the photos was taken at a schoolyard down the street from the house where I grew up and where my parents still live.
The schoolyard featured some large and lovely trees -- willows and birch trees. I used to take the branches that had fallen onto the ground and "whittle" -- remove the bark from the branches. I'm holding a branch in that, and both my brothers are holding smaller branches. My brother the artist also drew a pencil into the picture -- held in his hand -- reminding me forever that he was the artist.
Personal gifts are the best kind. Of course, this wedding gift depicts my brothers and I, and has nothing to do with my husband. But then again, seeing the artwork every day on our living room wall must remind my husband that I was once a cute little kid who grew into a warm and loving wife and mother...or so I'd hope!

4 comments:

Ezzie said...

That's really cool. In a way, reminds me of when I saw your kids... :)

Neil said...

That is really a beautiful sketch.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

WONDERFUL, Pearl...Such a sweet and memorable gift...and so very personal. Lovely lovely sketch.

torontopearl said...

Ezzie: If you're ever back in Toronto, you can see my kids again. And me. And my husband. And the dog. And maybe even the house and the dining room table!

Neil: Thanks. If I find the photo, I'll post that alongside the sketch, and you'll see just how exacting my brother is with his pencil!

Old Lady: Thanks. I'll have to pass the compliments on to my brother. The sketch that sits on my wall has been given a much wider viewership, I have to tell him!