In my quiz post yesterday, I wrote that Elie and Miriam would no doubt enjoy this brain quiz -- assuming, of course, that Elieand Miriam would read the post...assuming, of course, that Elie and Miriam read my blog pretty regularly...
Well, a resounding yes....at least about Elie. (I haven't heard from Miriam re. the quiz.) He reads my blog. He read that post. He enjoyed the quiz.
However, since his system does not allow him to comment on posts anymore, he sent me his responses. I think they're worthy of their own post. I am certainly impressed. After all, as this post title says, "Elie Is One Smart Cookie." My next post will have the answers; you can see for yourself just how Mensa-like Elie is.
Here are Elie's answers:
1. Scintillate, scintillate, asteroid minikin.
Twinkle, twinkle little star
2. Members of an avian species of identical plumage congregate.
Birds of a feather flock together
3. Surveillance should precede saltation.
Look before you leap
4. Pulchritude possesses solely cutaneous profundity.
Beauty is only skin deep
5. It is fruitless to become lachrymose over precipitately departed lacteal fluid.
Don't cry over spilled milk
6. Freedom from encrustations of grime is contiguous to rectitude.
Cleanliness is next to godliness
7. The stylus is more potent than the claymore.
The pen is mightier than the sword
8. It is fruitless to attempt to indoctrinate a superannuated canine with innovative manoeuvers.
You can't teach an old dog new tricks
9. Eschew the implementation of correction and vitiate the scion.
Spare the rod, spoil the child
10. The temperature of the aqueous content of an unremittingly observed saucepan does not reach 212 degrees Fahrenheit.
A watched pot never boils
11. All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous.
All that glitters is not gold
12. Where there are visible vapours having their prevalence in ignited carbonaceous materials, there is conflagration.
Where there's smoke, there's fire
13. Sorting on the part of mendicants must be interdicted.
Beggers can't be choosers
14. A plethora of individuals with expertise in culinary techniques vitiates the potable concoction produced by steeping certain comestibles.
Too many cooks spoil the broth
15. Eleemosynary deeds have their incipience intramurally.
Charity begins at home
16. Individuals who make their abodes in vitreous edifices would be advised to refrain from catapulting petrous projectiles.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
17. Neophyte's serendipity.
18. Exclusive dedication to laborious enterprise without interlude of enjoyable diversion renders John a tedious fellow.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
19. A revolving lithic conglomerate accumulates no congeries of a small green bryophytic plant.
A rolling stone gathers no moss
20. It behooves the garrulous to render impenetrable the buccal orifice during mastication.
Chew with your mouth closed