Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Glimpses into the Holy Land

I just returned with my family from a two-week trip to Israel.

I haven't been to Israel in years...25 to be exact! So much has changed, so much has remained the same.

The physical landscape has changed, with new buildings and development throughout the country.

But the heart of Israel -- the Jewish nation -- remains. Every visible stripe of Jew can be found throughout. Every type of kippah and head covering adorn the heads of men and women. Tzitzit fringes flutter freely on men and boys of every size.

Jerusalem. The city of gold...and pink...and white...and blue. Magnificent, beautiful, striking and enveloping. Coddling us, as we coddle it.

People tell me that when they travel UP to Jerusalem, they are encaptured by an overwhelming rush of emotion, a pure happiness meant to sustain. I understand that myself now. A deflation of sorts happens as you drive down, out of Jerusalem, its scenery reflected in the rearview mirror.

To attend a wedding, with the backdrop of Jerusalem as the tableau, the bride and groom under the open-aired chupah, the glass being broken followed by a beautiful cantorial rendition of "Im Eshkachech Yerushalayim (If I Forget Thee, O Jerusalem)" takes one's breath away. As does the country. As do the sunsets. As do the Welcome signs.

Israel...IS Real.

5 comments:

rickismom said...

Definately. And even after 36 years here, I feel the same

Robin said...

What a lovely description. I've never been to Israel, but I think it would be wonderful.

Mitzimi said...

That's it - exactly! When you travel up to Jerusalem, your spirits rise ... and leaving it is undeniably a descent of sorts ...

I enjoyed your post - beautifully described. You might enjoy reminiscing about your trip by visiting my website - http://www.jerusalem-insiders-guide.com.

I hope it won't be another 25 years before you come again!

rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Beautiful.
To me Jerusalem is beige.

free dating said...

What a lovely description. I've never been to Israel, but I think it would be wonderful.