Sunday, August 30, 2009

Please Tell Me...


why kids are so fascinated by this, why they are so gung-ho to eat hard-boiled eggs...when this object is on the table?
Think about it: it's a knife of sorts. As Wikipedia explains: An egg slicer is a food preparation utensil used to slice peeled, hard-boiled eggs quickly and evenly. An egg slicer consists of a slotted dish for holding the egg and a hinged plate of wires or blades that can be closed to slice.
My kids -- and their friends -- get very excited when I offer them hard boiled eggs. The "oohs & ahhs" are audible when the egg slicer accompanies the bowl of cooked eggs to the table. They argue about who will be the first to use the slicer, which way they should position the egg in the slicer, if they should double-slice the eggs to make them really small pieces, ie. messy crumbs aka prelude to egg salad.
I haven't yet shared a secret about the egg slicer with my kids and their friends: it can also be used for mushrooms! Shh...don't spill the beans, um, I mean the egg, um I mean the mushrooms.


3 comments:

Robin said...

We have one of these things for mushrooms, but I've never seen one for eggs. Or is it the same device for both, but really meant for eggs? If it's the latter, then I've been neglecting my hard boiled eggs for years. I hope they're not angry.

the kid said...

funny, i got one in the cupboard, but, i remember when i was a kid, a simpler time, mom used it like a chef to make a cold holiday buffet, or for egg salad school lunch the next day, i hang onto to it, of course, it's 2009, but it reveals the ingenuity of a simpler, nompplayer age, time not moving, if you will

free dating said...

hahaha wonderfully hilarious!