Tuesday, May 29, 2007

If You Play Your Cards Right...





Late last night I watched this film. The Hebrew title is "Afula Express" but in English, it was renamed to "Pick a Card." Both titles work extremely well for the storyline, but for the English-speaking audiences the latter name is more appropriate.


As I sat and watched, I was bothered because I just KNEW that the lead actress was familiar to me, but I couldn't recall where I'd seen her before -- I don't watch Israeli films all that often and I didn't think she was anything but an Israeli. And then it hit me; I'd seen her in this film that I'd talked about in a previous post.

People tell me I'm pretty fluent in Hebrew, but nonetheless I read the English subtitles. And subtitling is a funny genre in itself. Often what the characters said in Hebrew was translated much harsher in English, throwing in "Hell" and other curse words...for effect, I guess.
The film won several awards and no doubt, rightfully so.

3 comments:

Neil said...

I've seen several Israeli movies at the Israeli film festival. I'm always wondering, considering the amount of Jews working in the film industry around the world, why most Israeli movies are so bad.

orieyenta said...

We're always looking for good movies to rent. Thanks for the tip.

David_on_the_Lake said...

oh..I'm the same way...

If there are subtitles..I automatically read them..even if I know both languages..
Its kinda annoying..
lol