Saturday, November 26, 2005

Su..Su...Sumo -- Giving It Your All

Blogroll Me!

Okay, so my little sumo wrestlers are in competition tomorrow. But not my daughter. She bowed out of the class...for now. So it's child #1 and child #3 who will be giving it their all.

I've actually watched a few minutes of their classes as they give their all -- I've seen child #2 and #3 (when she was still in class) go at it. Of course I was laughing hysterically; it wasn't much different than what I've sometimes witnessed at home, except that a circle on the floor is involved in the class. Child #1 had shown some good style with his opponents, but he has yet to learn how to show a "fight face"-- wipe that happy-child grin from his face and look mean and angry and ready to conquer the world...and a trophy, if one is involved.

And speaking of trophies...apparently, I found out today, that my husband also has given his all. He's paid a reasonable amount per child for this competition, so that each one will be guaranteed to walk away with a trophy. The martial arts school may only be asking for a few bodies to be bruised, but no feelings to be hurt as a result of the competition. Yes, a good strategy in itself, as the children rack up the points in each bout and build up their egos with trophy in hand.

Another good strategy? I could've gone into a trophy shop and bought a couple of trophies for the boys for less than the required amount the school is asking for. But then again, I realize that their competition is about the thrill of it all -- the fighting, the audience and the winning attitude that comes with doing your best and giving it your all.

**********************
Update: #1 child won 1st place -- gold trophy
#3 child won 2nd place -- silver trophy

Dollars might have been paid by all parents to guarantee each child a trophy, but the points the children accumulated in each round were done all on their own.
I'd say that after taking only 4 classes each as sample classes, my kids did pretty good.
This parent is kvelling...!

1 comment:

cruisin-mom said...

When my kids were little, if they played on a team, they received a trophy. Didn't matter if the team won or lost...a trophy was had by all. At the time I thought this was just wonderful...everyone should feel equal...now that my children are mid to late teens...I realize that this is not how self esteem is developed...a person needs to learn to compete, try hard, work hard...earn a win...so it has meaning, and value...not simply receive a trophy for doing nothing. I hope the generation after my kids generation has learned something that seemed to slip the minds of us baby boomers in raising our kids..things must be earned the old fashioned way...because in the "real world"...that's how it goes.