Friday, August 11, 2006

Music To My Ears

Okay, everyone, let's get back to that famous (filler) blog topic M U S I C.

It appears that music always gets people going, so that fact, along with being inspired by a recent post of Elie's, inspired this post.

Everyone has a song that is associated with a particular person or event in their life. Some people remember the first song they danced to with their sweetheart, others remember the most popular song at the time their child was born.

And (no) thanks to Elie, I can't get "American Pie" out of my head. That is the song that was a hit when I was still in my early days of learning to ice skate. It came out in late 1971 when I was 10 years old.

My mother and I, hand in hand, would circle the public rink on Motzei Shabbos. It was the thing to do: parents and children, boyfriends and girlfriends...gracing the ice with smooth glides, sleek turns and unsightly falls.

Music blared overhead from speakers -- some uptempo songs, others slower waltzes and ballads...like the haunting lyrics and melody of "American Pie."

*************

Do you have a particular song associated with a particular person, event or a time in your life?

2 comments:

cruisin-mom said...

Pearl, the list is too long to list. But, I absolutely love American Pie (I was 15-16 when that came out...my friends and I learned every word so we could sing it out loud at the top of our lungs). Another great song was Taxi by Harry Chapin (who died way to soon)...another long saga song, that you have to learn every word to and sing at the top of your lungs!!!

torontopearl said...

MIA: That's nice...Daniel and the highway are associated with a Jewish choir...

CM: I could add to that list of yours, of songs all done around the same time...they carried us through our youth!