Saturday, December 23, 2006

Freak Me Out!

Long story short.

My father isn't well. He was taken into the hospital on Thursday afternoon with chest pains and weakness. He remained in the emergency wing all day and night and on Friday, after he was finally seen by a doctor, it was decided that they wanted to keep him in for observation...although it was determined his heart was fine.

When I spoke to my parents just before I lit Chanukah and Shabbos candles, they were still waiting for a room to be made available for my father and were still in some cubicle in Emergency.

It was going to be very difficult for me to get through Shabbos and not know one way or the other what was happening, but I was thankful on Friday night, after coming home from being invited for dinner, that there was no red light flashing on my phone indicating a call.

But last night, I had a bad dream and woke up with a start. After lying quietly, reassessing where I was, I looked closely at the time on my watch: it was approximately 2:12. I'd had a dream in which my father had two consecutive grand-mal seizures. I lay there, feeling disturbed, and wondering why I was having such a dream, when he'd gone in to the hospital this time because of his heart.

Yes, it was tough to get through Shabbos not knowing anything, and when I didn't reach anyone at my parents' home after Shabbos, I called my brother's house. My sister-in-law told me that my father had had a bad night, and had had FOUR seizures in the middle of the night! My brother was at the hospital with my mother.

Long story short: when I went to the hospital tonight to see my father, I went to the nursing station to ask if they had a record of when my father had seized at night. One seizure was recorded at being at TWO A.M.!!

I was rather freaked out. Yes, I've had some "in-tune" episodes with my mother primarily or my husband or some friends, but I think this topped them off.

I hope to G-d that I have a dreamless night. I hope to G-d that my father has a calm night..and a refuah shlema.

If you'd like to make a misheberach, his name is: Yaakov Arieh ben Chaya Malka.

Thank you.

18 comments:

Shira Salamone said...

Oy. May he have a refuah sleimah. And I hope you get an undisturbed night's sleep.

cruisin-mom said...

Pearl, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. That is a very strange event, and definitely makes you wonder about how we are connected to those we love. Please keep us posted on his condition.

Anonymous said...

refuah shleymah pearl...i have added him to my list...only a few are given the gift of that kind of esp experience...let us know how you are all doing...stay safe

Jack Steiner said...

Refuah shleymah to your father.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this. We will be sure to include him in our mi shebarach. Refuah shleimah to him.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry and hope and pray for his refuah shlaima!

kasamba said...

I wish him a Refuah Shlemah and I will daven for him!

DANIELBLOOM said...

Pearl,
Let's hope and pray for the best!

danny

(and no more bad dreams....

torontopearl said...

Thank you all for your good wishes. He's still in hospital -- his heart is apparently fine -- but we don't know what brought on those four seizures, nor another one he had today, nor the petite mal seizures he's been evidently having in his hospital bed. He is on anti-seizure drugs, yet still has the seizures...

Those "shorts" to his brain have clearly been taking their toll.

We can only hope and pray for the best...

It's been a tough week: I attended a funeral for the father of a childhood friend on Wednesday; tomorrow I have to attend a funeral for the father of another childhood friend.

For those of you who have fathers, please hug them, or call them to say hello...because you can.

Ezzie said...

Refuah Shleimah!!

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping that things get back to normal over there via a refuah sheleimah. Your ordeal is on my mind, and we should hear good news.

justgraham said...

I hope that everything is better for you and your family. I'm unfamiliar with your practices (I'm a buddhist) but I will be including your Dad in my prayers. Best wishes, Graham.

Anonymous said...

Talked to my Dad yesterday. He's struggling a lot with Parkinson's. I hope they can help your Dad soon and get him back on his feet.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I hope your father has a refuah shlaimah. I added his name to my list (and your blog to my roll). You'll let us know how he's doing, right?

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you. I hope he heals quickly.

TenLiKoach said...

Oh Pearl,

I am so sorry to hear about what's been going on with your father. I really hope he gets better soon. My thoughts are wish you honey!!

TenLiKoach said...

Sorry I meant my thoughts are with you!

all the best-

Jeremayakovka said...

Pearl,
Sorry to hear of the trouble and terrible distress. I'll do my small part.
-Jeremiah