Sunday, July 01, 2007

All My Loved Ones




My eyes are still damp from a movie I finished watching about twenty minutes ago: "All My Loved Ones."

It's another foreign film -- Czech -- but with no traces of quirkiness, only a sense of seriousness and a slight heaviness, as we know this film mirrors life...as it was for Czech and other Jews of Eastern and Western Europe and other countries with the onset of World War 2.

I cried because even though this is a film, it is a recreation of history, a recreation of family life before and during the war. I'm not saying "after the war" because in my cases, there was no recreation of family life, sadly enough.

Perhaps the acting is not supreme and maybe some of the details of the film lack a certain "je ne sais quoi," but I do recommend the film for its sense of realism.

The film is directed by Metej Minac, who is the son of a child who was on the kindertransport, and is based on his mother's recollections.

The copy on the movie cover says: "To save his life, they had to say goodbye."

Just think of how many parents had to say goodbye....

1 comment:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Another film to add to my NETFLIX list...! Thank you very much, Pearl...It sounds like a very moving film...And I always like that!
Thanks, dear Pearl, for your visit and your sweet comments...We did have a wondereful time---there is such ease with old friends---a short hand, in a way....Everyone said what a sweet wonderful fun afternoon it was...I know it was for me.