Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Parents

This photo was taken one Sunday morning in late December at a cousin's bar mitzvah. My father, as a Levi, was given an aliyah, and I believe it was probably his last one.

This is my dear "Swiss Miss" mom, Lilli (she should be well), with her -- and our -- beloved Jacob (Jack).

Father's Day is coming up this Sunday. Without my father.

My parents' 53rd wedding anniversary will be coming up on June 24. Without my father.

My father's 89th birthday will be on July 4. Without my father.

"Without my father." What a sad refrain, isn't it? But it's a reality these days, and once again, I am more than thankful for the many years we had WITH MY FATHER.

Hug your parents. Tell them how much you love them. Bring honor to the family name. Make your parents proud. Realize they are simply human -- like you -- and make mistakes, as well.

And always, always keep your treasury of family memories alive.

3 comments:

Leora said...

I remember the first Mother's Day without my mother. I cried and cried. My husband hadn't made much of Mother's Day in his family, but every since that year, he and my kids shower presents and love on me on Mother's Day.

I hope you can let the others around you know that you need some extra love this Father's Day.

Robin said...

This must be a really hard Father's Day for you. I feel so bad. Major hugs from Pennsylvania.

terry said...

So I read this today, and shed a tear today.
So many 'days' within a few weeks; but then, every day is a good one in which to spend a moment with a good thought. And you know your dad is so proud of his carefully, lovingly planted garden.