Monday, March 01, 2010

Adler-Saban Gallery Is Now Open For Viewing

My mom brought over a bag yesterday of photos I'd taken when I'd gone back to school in 1986 and did a Book & Magazine Publishing program. I learned photo techniques as well as blackroom and developing techniques.

I loved photography and the manual camera. Ask me today if I recall how to use one, though!

Imagine when you talk to a dog and he cocks his head sideways in a puzzled manner. That is how I viewed the world through my viewfinder...always with offbeat angles and unique views.

Photojournalism is wonderful, and no doubt I should have pursued it a bit more -- for  pleasure.

Kensington Market, Toronto, circa 1987, "What a hunk!"

Downtown Toronto, circa 1987, "Synchronicity"

                                                                  Downtown Toronto, circa 1987, "Alleyway Cast-Offs"

Chinatown, Spadina Avenue, downtown Toronto, circa 1987

Circa 1987, my father, Jacob Adler, z"l, and a photo of his grandparents

A sample book cover I designed for my photography course, 1987



A reflection shot, downtown Toronto, 1987


Another reflection shot, downtown Toronto, 1987

Another reflection shot, downtown Toronto, 1987

Another reflection shot, interior, downtown Toronto, 1987

3 comments:

Robin said...

Those pictures are awesome. We have an old photo of my great grandparents who came here from Russia, and I swear the woman had the same pose in the front and the same pearls. Do you think my great grandmother stole your great grandmother's pearls? Wouldn't that be ironic?

Can you get that same amazing contrast with a modern camera and black and white film? Certainly not from my stupid digital camera!

Robert J. Avrech said...

Wonderful photos. Tremendous talent.

Minnesota Mamaleh said...

wonderful photos! i, too, took a photography course years ago and absolutely loved the feel of the real-deal camera. i wasn't nearly as talented as you, though! it's not too late to pursue!! :)