Thursday, March 08, 2007

Quirks & Meshugas

I'd like to find out if I'm the only person with these quirky (don't want to use anything harsher, or perhaps more apt a description) ideas:

1. When I'm driving behind or beside an extended tractor-trailer that is hauling automobiles to a dealership, I have this great fear that the automotive cargo will somehow become free and the vehicles will start rolling backwards and straight into my car.

Am I the only one with such a meshugas?

2. I'm not so aware of this anymore, but all the while that I grew up and lived in my parents' home, whenever a salad bowl was sitting in front of me and the salad tossers were right in front of me, sitting on "my side" of the bowl, I always had to shift the tossers to the other side of the bowl. Somehow with them "in my face," I always felt unnerved.

Am I the only one with such a meshugas?

3. When I used to take subways and buses to work and went a particular route, I either could opt to wait for the last bus of the route that would take me 3 short stops to right in front of my office building, or I could walk for five minutes and get there just the same.
Why, when I chose to walk, would I still look back every couple of minutes to see if a bus was coming? I could only take that bus from the first stop, so it never made sense to me that I'd even bother to look back, seeing as I would not take the bus anyhow.

4. Why do I still practice signing my name constantly? I'm not planning to autograph any books anytime soon...

5. Why do I continually repeat myself to my husband and children, even though I'm aware I've said the same thing before?

6. Why do I continually like to reveal my "weaknesses" and faults to blog readers, virtual strangers?

6 comments:

orieyenta said...

Don't worry Pearl - you're not the only one. Actually I have a much longer list than you do of my "quirks". :-)

Good Shabbos!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on 1, 5, and 6, and I can relate to 2 and 3. I also have an even longer list of quirks. I'll have to write about them some day...

rabbi neil fleischmann said...

We all have our quirks. Although we tend to look at thenm as fine in ourselfs and annoying in others. I most relate to number six. Some of us have this need to be honest and share openly. That's why there are diaries and blogs and stand up and memoirs and novels and poems and one man shows and and and.

Anonymous said...

I've got this fear about oil tankers sharing the road with me, and then erupting in a fiery inferno.

Ezzie said...

I'm with you on most of those, especially the salad bowl. We're all a little bit crazy - if not, life would be so boring!

torontopearl said...

Phew!!!!!!!!! Glad to know there are others like me out there. I think I only presented you folks with the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the narishkeit in my mind!